Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Let's try this again. . .

I started a blog when I studied abroad in the spring of 2009, but I didn’t really use it–sorry, mom! I’m trying again because my friend Sara suggested it and I agreed it might be cool.
This morning, using slightly different words, I asked myself, Where does my energy come from? My bedroom is consumed by Christmas clutter and neglected chore debris, and in this sigh of a day between bustly gatherings with family and friends, I wonder if I’ve committed a timeless human crime. The nation of Israel did it, even though God warned them not to:

“When the Lord your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers. . . –a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant–then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of the land of slavery. Fear the Lord your God, serve him only. . . Do not follow other gods, the gods of the people around you; for the Lord your God, who is among you, is a jealous God. . .” –Deuteronomy 6:10-15a

It’s clear to me in all the blessings of Christmas and pre-wedding abundance that metaphorically, God was speaking to me as well. I am in the Promised Land, so to speak. God has richly blessed me and uses the people around me to bless me immensely; but I have forgotten the Lord who is the reason that I have it all in the first place! I have begun to “worship and serve created things rather than the Creator” (Romans 1:25). Easy to do.

Now, obviously, my implication (the Bible’s implication!) is that this is a bad thing. And every frequent church-goer knows that’s bad (hush hush). But why?
My thought, based on what I see in the Bible, is that our sin blinds us from seeing what God sees plainly: That there is nothing in this world that compares to the “surpassing greatness of knowing Christ” (Philippians 3:8). That in Christ, we find true life and unending energy; not in STUFF. And my joy/energy does come from Him; I just forget to give him credit for it. Maybe this blog will be part of helping me remember to remember that?

No comments:

Post a Comment