Sunday, September 22, 2013

Every Good Weekend

I'm obsessed with Christ Community Church. Every encounter provides a glimmer of clarity and hope to our hearts. Not that life isn't beautiful . . .

I'm feeling extra whiny today, but work is hard. Tim Keller's Every Good Endeavor has helped me keep a positive outlook on my new work --I DO want to build something meaningful; I do want to make life more beautiful for others. And I do know that I'm in exactly the job I'm supposed to be in right now. And I see the beauty of it. Sometimes. Like one day last week, when I could tell my 4th block was just not with me. They're the ones whose grades overall are always noticeably lower than the other two periods' grades. When I asked what the blank stares were about, the one kid who never gets it exclaimed, "I have no idea what's going on!" --and other kids started chiming in too, and eventually we figured out what the issue was AND it was an issue with a phrase I didn't realize I hadn't taught them how to use. I was glad I asked! After that, I had all of their attention, and they all walked away actually having learned. That was a good feeling!

Other days, they press me for an answer on whether I'm a first year teacher . . . or they tell me my class is boring. . . or they just sleep and fail. Or sleep and get 100's--I'm not sure which is worse. I don't know how to manage it all yet.

I just know I don't want to start living for the weekends. . . but I don't know how not to. Especially when it's the time that sweet bff's and family come into town for fun gatherings!

        

But Tim Keller is right-- work is good and I need work, not just to make money but for life satisfaction. I just can't help thinking that--like the guy in the show Marshall's watching right now--it would be a lot more fun to have a job where I got to run through the snow next to a wolverine on a leash.

But another positive aspect of my job is that somehow--even though I'm just teaching Spanish 1--my Spanish is getting better. I've been watching a lot of "Betty la fea" and "Amar en tiempos revueltos" (check them out if you're looking for a good telenovela!) and my comprehension is much more . . . comprehensive. . . and requires much less effort than when I was watching them a year ago.

   



OH yes Marshall wanted me to add how excited we are about the community group we're going to be a part of with Christ Community Church-- there are a few couples our age, and a few couples in the next stage(s) of life. It was great this past week, and we are looking forward to beginning to become part of a community through that! It's fun to be around sweet families I knew in college again. Plus, the pastor leads this community group and he's an Alabama fan. He and Marshall both seem to be glad to have found another Alabama fan in Dawg country. I'm also excited about the small group I'm going to be in with my mentor from college and some people she knows in Athens -- we are meeting for the second time tonight! And Marshall is going tonight to a kickoff event with the Dean's Ambassadors at the bowling alley. . . YAY for finding friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment