Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fear

"Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them. . . Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good" (Jeremiah 10:2,5b).

What does our nation fear? My first thought is that people in general fear losing money, success, popularity, beauty, and independence. But when I thought about it in my own life, I realized that all of those come down to a fear of other people. I/we want the good opinion of others--some or even most of us rise and fall with what we perceive others' opinion of us to be. But as I kept reading, I was reminded that I don't need to "fear" other people--I foolishly live in fear when I don't have to!

"No one is like you, O Lord. . . the Lord is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King" (Jer. 10:6,10)--the Lord is greater than any person. I am also reminded of Romans 8:31,37 which say that "If God is for us, who can be against us? . . .We are more than conquerors through him who loved us." God would be Lord even if he weren't good--but he is good! He sent Christ to restore the relationship with him that my sin had broken so that I could be set free from fear; in order that I could bring him honor, knowing that he is greater than all others!

No comments:

Post a Comment