Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Covenant

Whoaaaa. . .  my mind is blown. No one is making up covenant theology in the Bible (not that I ever disagreed with it; I saw that the idea was consistent in scripture)--but no one is even deducing it from what is in scripture. It IS in scripture. I don't know how I never saw it before, but reading Jeremiah this morning, it clicked. I don't have time to finish this thought fully, but here's what I read:

"I brought on [Israel] all the curses of the covenant I had commanded them to follow that they did not keep" (Jeremiah 11:8). My thought was what? I know that's not how God deals with my issues/sin--Christ dealt with mine at the cross when he paid the debt for them. And then I looked at Matthew 26:28, where Jesus says, "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."  JESUS' blood was the blood that paid for my failure at keeping my end of my covenant with God (that says that I will obey him). That's why, now that I am under the "covenant of grace", when I make a marriage covenant to Marshall, I'll be committing to love him instead of treat him as he deserves, when he doesn't keep his end of our covenant--when he doesn't love me perfectly. This is so beautiful!!

Sara Sam, see you at the gym in 20 minutes--I will STILL make it on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment